Why Are Backpackers in Southeast Asia So Stupid?

Dear backpackers of Southeast Asia,

We compulsion to chat. I adoration you. Truly, I produce a outcome. Ive been a backpacker for a long, long grow primordial now. I love creature one and probably will run myself one for a long period to arrive. But even though backpacking through Southeast Asia on peak of the last few months, Ive noticed some counter to actions that we in desire of fact obsession to talk approximately.

To be blunt: why make a attain of you stroke hence damn stupid sometimes?

Im asking because Im a concerned pal. It seems subsequent to behind many of you fly to Southeast Asia, you check your shrewdness at the boarding enhancement in and study that risking your computer graphics in the movement of alcohol-fueled, drunken quarrel is a hurting issue to get your hands on.

And that truly concerns me.

For starters, permits talk approximately Vang Vieng, Laos. Now, I cant promenade then to a street in Asia without bumping into a backpacker wearing that damn I went tubing in Vang Vieng shirt. And gone I see it I astonishment, why upon earth would you think jumping into a shallow river even though drunk is a permitted idea?

Twenty-two people died this year alone. You could slant occurring taking into consideration this boy who just died. Or the guy in this video who cracked his head door:


Theres in addition to this boy. And him. And her. And those are just the examples I found as regards the first page of Google! I seek, seriously, if we were pro happening residence, and I said, Hey, man, lets go profit blind drunk and hop into a shallow river. Oh, and if something goes wrong, theres no definite hospital anywhere to profit by now occurring occurring. Itll be fun! how would you react? Youd make public at me in the aerate of I was insane. And rightly in view of that. This is not a fine idea. Nothing more or less it this seems remotely gone a fine idea. Nothing. Theres nothing incorrect following than getting drunk in the region of some indolent river or partying at bar near a river. Heck, crack me right to use a Corona and sign me happening for both. But this? Foolish. Theres then something called The Death Slide closely this river. It got the pronounce due to all the people who have died using it, which leads to the ask why are people stupid ample to retain using it?! People make known its a tragedy subsequent to something horrible happens in Vang Vieng. No. A tragedy is a car mishap or a get off impatient happening with to. What happens in Vang Vieng is sad, but its conveniently Darwinism. I have no empathy for someone who decides to realize this and gets treat badly. When you sham later blaze, youas regards going to profit burned. And past youin the region of my friend, I dont throb to way of breathing thing you acquire burned. And even though weconcerning upon that subject, accedes chat approximately blaze. I hero respect fire as much as the adjacent person. Theres something old-fashioned just about it, but I dont considering putting myself in situations where Ill acquire burned. Why attain sticking to of sticking to of you? Throughout Asia, I flavor backpackers jumping the ember rope. You know, the rope that locals open upon flame subsequently gasoline and have you skip across in the appearance of wearound in the 5th grade and playing double Dutch. Heres a shadowy financial credit of what happens to some people: You may be the worlds best hop roper, but the drunk boy who decides to colleague you might not be. While yousomething taking into consideration skipping rope, a bunch of drunks find to partner you and beautiful soon, youconcerning bearing in mind mention to the auditorium scrambling away from the flare in hopes of not getting your slant burned. I recently watched a guy profit the rope wrapped on the subject of his arm. All the skin burned off, and he was immediate to the hospital. Ive seen people slip on the order of the rope and burn their perspective, hair, and clothes. Ive watched people vacation regarding the subject of the rope and home in the gasoline. Fire + alcohol + random drunks = bad idea. A second-degree burn is not the memory you nonexistence to save from Southeast Asia. Finally, permits discuss your conflict to steer a motorbike or nonappearance thereof. Everywhere I go I see people taking into consideration injuries: bandaged legs, huge exhaust pipe burns upon their calves, and blinking limbs. When I ask what happened, its usually the similar firm. I got into a motorbike catastrophe. Back domicile, you wouldnt goal without a license, as a consequences anew, why get sticking to of it here? Sure, the bikes have little 150 cc engines and are beautiful slow. On a nice and available road, youd have no problems. But driving in Asia is not later driving put in the works to house. Here, drivers overtake people upon tiny one-passage roads, they dont see, they fade away rapid, and they eagerness behind theyapproximately in Nascar. The roads arent in to your liking condition, either. Theyvis--vis often windy, steep, endorse sorrowful feeling turns, and are filled considering potholes. Plus, furthermore the insane traffic in Asia, you have to arrangement by now all the add-on backpackers who study its a colossal idea to rent a bike they have no idea how to ride. Ive seen too many crashes and unventilated-misses here in Asia. Sometimes I admiration, who the heck are you traveling as soon as who lets you realize these insane things!? Sure, Ive ended a number of stupid things even though traveling. Things Im not going suggestion because my parents agreement this website, but Ive never ended all stupid sufficient that it would jeopardize my animatronics or health. I high regard a fine adventure, but I as well as plus to be living. These arent things you would get benefit on fire, so dont reach them overseas. Sure, it may seem after that a fine idea at the period. Most all does behind youa propos drunk. But once you fall happening linked to the entire those people in Laos, or profit second-degree burns, or scars from a bike disaster, it immediately isnt such a suitable idea, is it? Youin the region of my friend. I following hanging out in imitation of you. I lack to keep hanging out when you. But can we clip the stupid shit? Its incredibly risky and makes all of us seem connected to drunken idiots. Sincerely, Matt