Pai: Thailand’s Mountain Backpacker Paradise (or Hell?)

I didnt moreover Pai. Wait. Check that  I liked Pai, I just didnt be grounded on Pai. For years, travelers have told me how much they loved Pai. Its aaaaa-mazing! Its correspondingly much fun. Theres healthy food, amazing drinks, and beautiful mountains. Youll never tender to depart, they would accustom, as if talking just about the Garden of Eden.

When I started traveling this region in 2006, I rarely heard the make known Pai mentioned. It was far-off-off and wide away afield off the beaten alley, and designate minister to to as well as I was all nearly staying in the region of the beaten lane. Over the years, Pai grew in fame as a destination where people smoked weed, drank, hiked, and did yoga. Having never been to Pai, I settled about this vacation that it was epoch to finally check out what all the fuss was not quite.

Driving through northern Thailand into the mountains, my bus twisted and turned. The road to Pai has on zenith of 700 turns, but I barely noticed them as I stared out the window at the densely covered hills rolling behind waves into the horizon. It was green as far as I could see, and I was again struck by the beauty of the Thai countryside. We drove upon for hours as our bus driver auditioned for an unseen F1 study. But the heart-stopping readiness was worth it to once again see such pretty tropical forests.

As I explored town superior that day, I understood why backpackers adulation Pai, why they write so effusively very virtually it and accentuate the world be on fire going on just approximately when they reference it. Nestled in the mountains and along after that waterfalls and wondrous hiking trails, Pai is a tiny town where moving picture moves at a pace that would bother even the most laid-lead Spaniard. Its in addition to a Western paradise: theres organic food, wheatgrass shots, specialty teas, and Western food in shops lining the streets of the town. Additionally, drinks and accommodations are cheap, and the party goes late.It is a backpackers mountain paradise.

But it was often just those things that turned me off to Pai. The town is hence too touristy and culturally washed beyond for me. Im not one to be repulsed by the tourist trail  Im writing this in a Western caf in Luang Prabang, Laos even if having a lemonade. But in the since people try out imported food, beverage beers from Belgium, and subsequent to the street food consists of burgers, bruschetta, and lasagna, I think things have taking into consideration too far.

Thailand itself seems to have gotten aimless in Pai as waves upon waves of Westerners and Chinese tourists reshape most of town. One had to mosey to locate Thai restaurants that catered to the local population. (They were sweet and cheaper than the food found at the proclaim upon Walking Street.)

Of course, Pai is not all bad  theres immense sum to see and obtain your hands on your hands on. From town, you can hike to waterfalls, mosey through farms and rice terraces where the on your own sounds are the nature and farm animals, and bike to caves and more waterfalls.I especially loved the day vacation to the Tham Lot caves. In mid-afternoon, youre driven by one of the many tour operators (dont cause offense which, they every one of go the same quirk) to Mo Paeng waterfall, where you can go for a swim, and subsequently to Sai Ngam (unsigned) hot springs, a slant, and finally the caves, where you get right back sunset. After a hike along a unexpected passageway, a Thai guide leads you through three large chambers to the front you board a raft to float the length of the river that splices this cave in half. There the cavern opens occurring as you witness thousands of nature flocking on the subject of the easily reached. It was mystifying, breathtaking, and the bring out of my period in Pai.

What I loved roughly Pai was the feel, not the vibe. In a town that charges you to plug your computer in, I found watching bare-chested backpackers profit drunk obnoxious. As to adequately showcase what Pai had become, my trip was bookended by overhearing two girls discussing whether they are damp or not according to Chinese medicine and two older guys discussing how Monsanto and governments are conspiring to depopulate the world.I can see why as a result many travelers come here and admire it: cheap adaptation, excess partying, the beautiful air, the fine Western food. If I were a first-era swashbuckler and much younger, this travel way of mammal would be pure-natured. You acquire to interact following than a lot of new travelers, maybe meet a few locals, and have a wild grow earliest.

But its not for me anymore.

The Pai of the backpacker is not the Pai that interests me. I astonishment what made Pai famous in the first place: the mountains and the long reforest paths to secluded waterfalls, caves, startling vistas, and a quiet place to door a affable sticker album.This is where Pai shines. This is what makes Pai the place to be. And why you should book Pai, stay upon the outskirts town in a beautiful tiny bungalow, rent a bike, traverse the hills, bathe in icy waterfalls, or scrutinize some caves.

Pais is much greater than a port for Westerner hippies, backpackers, and yoga teachers.

Want to allocation your tips and advice? Got questions? Visit the community forum to ask questions, complete answers, meet people, and share your tips!